Boucle du Mouhoun is the fifth most impacted region in Burkina Faso for internally displaced persons (IDPs), with 32’000 in June 2020. The lack of access to basic services has been placing significant insecurity on the local population.
Tdh supports health centres in the 6 health districts in Boucle du Mouhoun, and maintains strong relationships with the health and administrative authorities.
Our project focuses on primary HCFs in the Boucle du Mouhoun region.
|Focus||Primary health care facilities|
|Location(s)||2 health districts in the Boucle du Mouhoun Region: Toma and Tougan|
|Roles of consortium partner(s) involved||– Tdh (lead): coordination, implementation strategy and adoption at scale|
|Local and strategic stakeholders||– Ministry of Health|
– WASH Cluster
|Project overview||In Burkina Faso, the hands4health project will be deployed in health care facilities in the Boucle du Mouhoun Region. To achieve the project’s primary goal – developing a holistic approach to hand hygiene, water quality and sanitation, we will start by assessing the WASH needs and users’ practices and preferences regarding hand hygiene in HCFs of the target area. Based on these data and on the results of a first pilot phase, during which different solutions will be tested, the systematic approach will be finalised, comprising both hardware (handwashing stations) and software components (RANAS behaviour change methodology). It will then be implemented in 20 HCFs during the second phase of the project. The results of the intervention will be monitored throughout to evaluate the impact of the approach in terms of health and hygiene practices.|
|Main activities||– Gender-sensitive mapping of the needs of different user groups in HCFs|
– Assessment of the local market in terms of availability of suitable materials and skills
– Field evaluation of different design options and development of catalogue of design options suitable for different user groups and production methods
– Collection of baseline data on factors influencing users’ behaviour, acceptance and preferences of technologies/concepts
– Implementation of the behaviour change techniques developed from the analysis of the baseline data and evaluation of their effect
– Submission of the research protocol for the study on the health impact of the intervention to the local Ethics Committee
– Training of local collaborators on the data collection process and baseline and follow-up surveys (before and after implementation, respectively) in 20 HCFs
– Theory of change workshops with local stakeholders and dissemination of results supporting internal take-up by other country offices
|Expected results / products||– Local production of context-specific, user-centered designs of handwashing stations|
– Enhanced hand hygiene practices amongst direct users (health care staff, patients, visitors) and the community in general
– Local collaborators certified as RANAS experts
– Evidence on the health impact of the implemented approach for users
– Improved understanding of the WASH ecosystem in HCFs in Burkina Faso
News on h4h activities in Burkina Faso
- Gravit’eau systems in Nigeria and Burkina FasoGravit’eau systems: an overview Gravit’eau handwashing stations are one of the technologies that will be implemented as part of the hands4health project. These stations were developed by the Gravit’eau Association, FHNW, Tdh and… Read More »Gravit’eau systems in Nigeria and Burkina Faso